Archive for May, 2011
Recently my sister bought a new laptop as her old PC with Win 2k on it gets ready for a museum.
She asked me to find drivers for her HP Laserjet 1000 for Win7 because she did not find a way to get it working. I neither had success with finding drivers. There are some people saying the Vista driver works for them and others saying the XP driver work, but i did not find a confirmation and can not confirm it myself.
She prints only seldom so a new printer would not make much sense as the Laserjet is fully functional. And my sister is fine if printing is not as comfortable because of this seldom usage, so i had the idea to make the Laserjet working by an indirection over CUPS and i can tell you: It works.
Here are the shortened steps:
- Get Virtualbox from: www.virtualbox.org
- Install Virtualbox on your Windows 7 machine
- Add a new Virtual Machine in Virtualbox for your Ubuntu installation
- Add an USB Filter in Virtualbox for your printer to this Virtual Machine
- Install Ubuntu Server 10.04 in a virtual machine (I had chosen Ubuntu 11.04*1 Server, but there is some script missing so i would suggest 10.04) . Install it with “CUPS” in the software selection.
- Install “foo2zjs”. This is needed for the Laserjet 1000. on the ubuntu command line its a simple
sudo apt-get install foo2zjs
- Make remote configuration of CUPS possible with
sudo cupsctl --remote-admin
- Configure CUPS through the webinterface now reachable from your Windows browser on port 631. URL for your browser should look something like http://YOURVIRTUALMACHINE:631
- As driver for your Laserjet choose the foomatic foo2zjs driver
- Now if you are able to get your first test page printed from the web interface you are ready on the linux side
- Add a new Printer in Windows, choose “Network Printer”, URL for the printer should look like http://YOURVIRTUALMACHINE:631/printers/HP_Laserjet_1000 You can copy the url from your Webinterface. If you copy and paste it, be sure you copy the http link not the https one
- As Printer Driver choose “generic->MS Publisher Imagesetter”
- Print a test page from your windows machine.
My sister has to start the VM before she switches on/connects the printer. If you have an idea about that, leave me a comment.
Its no big problem cause starting the VM is just a double click on the VM image. You may start it headless if you dont like to get a window or even start it on system boot. I leave this as an exercise for you 😉
- got udev rule from http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/_attachment?target=HP_LaserJet_10xx%2F85-hplj10xx.rules
- getweb 1000
These two come from http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/HP_Laserjet_10xx The getweb command did not work for me as described in the wiki, and i copied some files to other places, but do not know if this helped, or was just needless.